Exporting your contacts from ACT!
NOTE: The following instructions are for exporting your contacts (contacts only)
ACT! 2000 - export contact-only data
The instructions shown below are for ACT! 2000. If the steps provided do not match the version you are using, please refer to the Help menu that is provided with ACT!
- From the main menu in ACT!, click File -» Data Exchange -» Export.
The Export wizard opens.
- In the File type field, select Text - Delimited.
- Specify a file location and file name with
a .CSV extension. For example, the file name and location may be similar to, C:\Act\Database\Export.csv.
- Click Next.
- Since it is assumed that you are importing the name and address details of the contact records stored in the ACT!
database, select Contact records only ,and then click Options.
- Complete the following:
- Select the Comma option button in the Select field separator section.
- Select the Yes, export field names
check boxin the Do you want to export field names section.
- Click OK to return to the wizard.
Exporting contacts from ACT!
NOTE: This tutorial was created using ACT! by Sage 2009, version 11.0. If you have a different version of ACT! your process for exporting contacts may be slightly different. View your ACT! help notes if you have questions.
- Launch ACT! and open your database.
- Select the File menu and click Export to open the Export Wizard.
- Click Next to get to the Specify Destination step.
- Select Text Delimited file type.
- Choose Filename and location for exported data.
- Select Comma Separated Values (*.csv) in the "Files of type" dropdown menu and click Open.
- Click Next.
- Select Contact Records as the type of records you want to export.
- Select All records and click Next.
- Select Comma for field separator character.
- Select the checkbox for Yes, export field names and click Next.
- Leave the export field order list alone and click Next.
- Click Finish.
NOTE: ACT! does not actually export the data as a .csv so you have to re-open the file and resave it as a .csv file.
- Open the file you saved.
- Select the File menu and click Save As
- Change "Save as type" to CSV (Comma delimited) (*.csv) and click Save.
- Click Yes to replace the existing file.
- Click Yes to change the form.
NOTE: If you want to import contacts from multiple users, follow the additional steps below. If you are only importing contacts for one user, proceed to the next section.
- Repeat Steps 1-8 to export the contacts for all users whose contacts you want to import into your account.
- Merge all files into a single CSV file using Excel or a similar application.
- Review your data for accuracy.
- Add a column titled "Assigned To" and add the User ID to this field in the format "128565". This step ensures that each user's data is correctly owned by that user in their account. You can locate the User ID in the User Table in